Our favorite holiday appetizer. This can be cooked in a crockpot or on the pit and kept warm and served all day long. It sounds like a crazy concoction (and maybe it is), but the results will have you sneaking a meatball every 5 minutes. All of the flavors meld together; there is no heavy sauerkraut nor cranberry taste in the end.
- 2 lbs pre-cooked meatballs
- 15oz Barvarian sauerkraut
- 14oz Cranberry sauce (with whole cranberries)
- 12oz Heinz Chili Sauce
- 2tbsp Brown sugar
- 2tbsp Holy Voodoo (by Meat Church)
– Pre-heat grill to 300 or crockpot on low. In a dutch oven combine sauerkraut, cranberry sauce, chili sauce, sugar and rub. Stir to incorporate.
– Place dutch oven on grill and top with pizza screen to hold the meatballs above the pot (so drippings can fall into pot). Smoke, with a small amount of applewood, for 1 hour or until meatballs are cooked.
– Gently place meatballs in sauerkraut mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 2.5hours or until the mixture is thick and the sauerkraut is very soft.
– Serve in a small bowl with a toothpick per meatball. Refill bowl as needed to keep meatballs hot.