A Christmas favorite. Ham that has been pre-smoked and then re-heated/smoked at home to create a flavor-packed smokey and sweet ham perfect for the family table or on some sandwiches!
- 7lb-8lb Ham
- 1 cup Honey Hog rub
- Yellow Mustard (enough to coat the ham)
- 1/2 cup Bourbon (I use TX since it’s very sweet)
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 20oz can Sliced pinapple
- 1/4 cup Brown mustard
Preheat your bbq pit to 275 degrees f, indirect
- Place ham in an aluminum pan and cut the top of the ham in a criss-cross fashion. Cut around 1/2″ to 1″ deep.
- Coat the ham in mustard and evenly apply the Honey Hog seasoning.
Place pan in the pit and close for 45 minutes. After the first hour you should have a ham that looks similar to this:
- During that first hour combine the bourbon, brown sugar, 1/2 can of pineapple juice and brown mustard in a bowl. Mix well, this is going to be the glaze.
- After the 45 minute mark, use a brush to glaze the ham. Close the pit and continue to cook.
- 15 minutes later add pineapple slices with toothpicks and continue to add glaze to the ham.
- Continue to glaze every 15 minutes. After another 45 minutes check the temperature of the ham, you should be around 140°, if not, glaze and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process until you hit the desired temperature.
Use the leftover liquid to create a sauce (there should be at least 3 cups of liquid in the pan). You can leave it as is or transfer it to a pan and add a corn starch slurry to the drippings!